Roses are red, violets are blue, we have some Valentine’s Day ideas if you’re wondering what to do!
I know it feels like just yesterday you were decorating your house and wrapping presents, but guess what folks, it’s already January! This means February is well on its way and that Valentine’s Day is coming in hot… or cold, depending on where you live!
No matter how you feel about Valentine’s Day (or Single’s Awareness Day, whichever you prefer), any holiday offers an excellent way for marketers to show their creative prowess and illustrate a new side of your brand to your audience.
So, how are you going to take advantage of the latest impending holiday? Below, we share a few tips to consider before you change your Facebook cover photo to hearts and roses, without any real thought behind it.
Who Should Run A Valentine’s Day Promotion?
First things first, ask yourself if your brand should even be running Valentine’s Day promotions. While it’s super easy to be tempted to jump on the latest holiday craze, it may not make sense for your brand to do so. It’s more important that you stay “on brand” than to try to capitalize on a holiday that doesn’t suit your industry. If your brand is no-nonsense in nature, it will seem disingenuous if all of a sudden you post a social media status with a cartoon cupid on it.
For example: If you’re marketing for an HVAC company and you typically post professional, industry content, sharing a fun GIF of a dancing cupid might make your followers wonder if your intern got ahold of your social media accounts. So while you might get some attention, it’s not likely the kind you’re seeking. But let’s say you’re a marketing agency instead. It might offer a chance to highlight one of your many services.
What Should You Say?
If you’ve decided that Valentine’s Day promotions or posts make sense for your brand, great! Keep reading.
The next question you’ll want to answer is “What do I even say?” If this issue brings you back to your middle school days of trying to AIM or text your crush, you’re not alone. It’s unfortunate when you realize even the grown-up version of you doesn’t know what to say either. Luckily, we have some tips when it comes to this.
So, if you’re brand does not have a natural integration with this holiday, think about ways to subtly tie it in, using the following promotions:
- Let us remind you of our opening sentence, “Roses are red, violets are blue…”
- The best part of this simple love poem is that it’s easy to customize to your liking. Want to give a discount to a few lucky followers? Say something like “Roses are red, violets are blue, a discount is waiting, for the first few!” Not only did you stay on theme, but you also got your point across AND added some detail.
- If the poem idea is a little too cheesy for you, try a more straightforward approach.
- Say something simple like, “We’d LOVE for you to check out our new Facebook page application!” This way you’ll still get in on the Valentine’s Day action without feeling like a love-stricken, school-aged teenager.
- Keep it simple.
- Say something like “We LOVE our customers, which is why today we are giving 14% off all products. [Shop now.]” … or “Valentine’s Day got you in a slump? Enjoy our [product/service name] and you will forget all about it. [Explore our offerings here.]”
What Should You Do?
Okay, so now that you’ve mastered the nail-biting dilemma of what to say, you’re in the clear, right? Wrong! Now you have to decide what to do! Do you run a promotion? Should you just create social media posts? Should you do both? Again, whatever you do, you shouldn’t force yourself to do something that doesn’t make sense. However, we think at least one of the following suggestions could be just what you’re looking for:
- The more creative a company can get, the better!
- Since Valentine’s Day is a holiday associated with gift-giving, why not offer a giveaway?
- If a giveaway isn’t your style, try out a user-generated content contest where the person who comes up with the best ending to the “Roses are red, violets are blue…” poem (that also mentions your brand) gets a discount!
- The best part is that you can recycle that winning quote the following Valentine’s Day!
- Still, haven’t found the perfect idea? You can always keep it classic for a fun Valentine’s Day-themed poll to drive additional user engagement.
- Create a Valentine’s Day-themed landing page and share it on your social media platforms to show your products or offerings in a fun and lighthearted way.
- Say something along the lines of this…
- “Today, we feel the love. Comment on this post with why you LOVE our products and you’ll be entered to win a free [product/service].”
So, no matter how Valentine’s Day has got you feeling, this holiday presents an opportunity to showcase your brand’s personality and authenticity — and really connect to users.
It’s entirely okay to opt out if it doesn’t make sense for your company, but don’t let an absence of a great idea leave you sitting on the sidelines of this holiday. Instead, take a look at the above ideas. You can either shamelessly copy one (we won’t tell anyone) or let our ideas inspire you! Happy Valentine’s Day!
The Woobox blog is here to help you succeed with your marketing efforts. Remember to check out our month-by-month guides (January 2018 and February 2018 are already out) with even more information on essential holiday and hashtags!